What does membership mean?
Membership of the Fellowship means you are joining with hundreds of people around England and Scotland who wish to be a movement of Christians committed to Building Peace, Seeking Justice and spreading hope through the world through the power of nonviolence. We do so together and in partnership with a wide range of people (religious and note) on our core campaign and education topics.
The Fellowship of Reconciliation is part of a global movement for peace, justice and nonviolence.
Membership is open to all who have read the ‘basis’ which summerises our faith based conviction of what the world could be. Members are those who have seen the statement and, agree with it’s ethos, wish to join with others to outlive what it says. Supporters are folks who have read the basis and want to work with others for peace while finding out if they agree with the ethos. All Are Welcome
Basis of FoR
(written in 1914, hence the gendered language – we’re working on this!)
- That love as revealed and interpreted in the life and death of Jesus Christ, involves more than we have yet seen, that is the only power by which evil can be overcome and the only sufficient basis of human society.
- That, in order to establish a world-order based on Love, it is incumbent upon those who believe in this principle to accept it fully, both for themselves and in relation to others and to take the risks involved in doing so in a world which does not yet accept it.
- That therefore, as Christians, we are forbidden to wage war, and that our loyalty to our country, to humanity, to the Church Universal, and to Jesus Christ our Lord and Master, calls us instead to a life-service for the enthronement of Love in personal, commercial and national life.
- That the Power, Wisdom and Love of God stretch far beyond the limits of our present experience, and that He is ever waiting to break forth into human life in new and larger ways.
- That since God manifests Himself in the world through men and women, we offer ourselves to His redemptive purpose to be used by Him in whatever way He may reveal to us.
Not in England or Scotland? Find your nearest branch.
We will use your details to contact you about your membership of FoR, including sending resources, newsletters and fundraising. We will not share it with any third parties except the Methodist Peace Fellowship if applicable. If you have questions or concerns, email firstname.lastname@example.org